Friday, June 5, 2009

A number called age...

I am not too excited about birthdays, but one comes my way every year, just as it did today.

Getting older? Nah.... no way!

I always feel as old as I was in my 11th standard. I was called a 'paati' (granny) even then... :D

Jokes apart, age is always just a number. And this number just adds experiences to itself and multiplies into wisdom; sometimes it multiplies laughter among friends and their merciless leg-pulling about getting older or younger; sometimes it brings in some vague amusement, like this incident....

I volunteered to be a volunteer this year at the annual Gita Competition held by The Egmore Sanskrit School. The volunteers are put in groups and each group has a co-ordinator. This competition is so well-organised (I'll write a separate post on it) and goes off like clockwork for two days on the final weekend of every January. My group coordinator (young girl, may be just out of college) called me on my mobile before the competition - twice to confirm that I'll be reporting to duty and once to pass on some instructions. She addressed me using my full name always and no prefixes / suffixes as Miss, Mrs or Madam. Am not complaining - I insist that even my friends' / cousins' kids should call me by name; no 'aunty'ing business. I met this girl for the first time on the day of the competition, listened to her instructions and worked along....like an obedient student! Full name, all through the day. Then came the formality of filling up bio-data forms for the volunteers' database. I filled up mine, passed it on to my coordinator and went home.

Here comes the fun part - next day, when I reported for duty, she had a different set of instructions, alright - but know what, I had a hard time suppressing my smile/laughter/grin as she punctuated the instructions with a generous sprinkling of 'aunty'.... :D :D :D

This number called age.....is Something!

4 comments:

G V Mahesh said...

First of all, I wish you many more happy returns of the day, for that you can enlighten us with your wisdom, that grows with age!

Next, it is surprising to see that you have been bitten by "Blogging" bug and have started scratching (posting). You never showed interest in such things in the past, it seems, if i am right.

Well, having taken a plunge into it, you have proved your calibre.

A very nice post with a flawless language and smooth flow of thoughts. Kudos! I too share your views on the subject.

The incident you have quoted shows that your looks, voice and activities camouflages your age. Blushing!?

Imagine how that girl would have felt, when she saw your DOB in the form. May be, Santoor soap ad would have run in her mind screen. The generous sprinkling of 'aunty' may be to make up the previous day's deficit.

Hope your posts will continue, giving us opportunities to know new things, appreciate and of course, pull your leg, at times.

intelligentwins said...

hey subbu!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so sorry i forgot ur bday :( oops!!! che! belated wishes aunty :P

cerenityblossoms said...

mmmmm...so every one wants them not to be called as aunty...oops.......
if subbalaksmi understands this..ok!!

Subah said...

@cerenityblossoms: I didnt say I do not like to be called aunty. It's just that I simply want to be called by my name. And, I was only amused when this girl addressed me aunty. So, Cerenity, I will not stop addressing anybody as aunty. :)

@intelligentwins: Thanks, baby. But still disappointed that you forgot. :(

@G V Mahesh: Thanks a ton, Mahesh.