Thursday, February 25, 2010

Saluting Sachin...

As a sixth standard student, I used all the available tactics to make my dad agree to buy a subscription for The Sportstar.

"I dont think you would read any of the write-ups or articles".
"But, Appa, if it is about sports, I WILL read and improve my language skills"
"Reading about sports? That's got nothing to do with your studies".
"But, Appa, I need it for imporving my general knowledge. I need to be thorough with stats. There are so many quiz programmes I've to compete in".

What I actually meant was that I HAVE to brag about the photos, posters and, of course about the statistics that could flow from the so-called finger-tips.

This spar went on, even when I had started reading all the articles or whatever remained intact after I had clipped all my favorite pix! The subscription continued for another 8-9 years. I retained all those clippings of innumberable sizes and shapes, till a few months ago, when I finally decided to discard most of them.

A handful of posters and clippings still remain in my Madurai residence, out of which one is of Sachin Tendulkar as a 15 year old, raising his bat with his trademark smile. I remember showing The Sportstar issue which wrote about Sachin's century on his debut first-class match, to ammi and discussing about how soon he'd be playing for India.

My addiction to sports-pix and statistics, has long disappeared. But the admiration for Sachin Tendulkar is another different story. We've all heard him dedicate his 100s and bigger scores to his teacher, his father and so on. But it was so touching that he dedicated his 200 to all of us, the people of India.

When he crossed his own record-score yesterday, I was wondering what could keep Sachin going... after all his innumberable achievements in the game, and the wealth & fame his game has brought in, what more could motivate him...It must be just his amazing spirit that keeps him going.

Proud to salute Sachin, not just for his 200, but for being Sachin ! Take a bow...!!

2 comments:

Ajay said...

So you've woken up! You were addicted to statistics in 6th std???

:)

Subah said...

Oh, yeah...statistics. Not jus sports-stats, there were too many. Like stats on major cities of the world-population,road-density,popular food... Had to work really hard to quit that addiction of memorising stuff like that. Now I dont even remember my ammi's mobile number - can only dial it from my phone. :))